250-635-7944 (ext. 6113)
1-800-663-3865 (ext. 6113)
Welcome to Foods 11
You need to do the first three units first and in the following order:
1) Foundation for the Course
2) Kitchen Safety and Sanitation
3) Equipment, Measuring, and Budgeting
Once you have completed these units and completed your first lab, you are welcome to do the rest of the course in any order you would like. For example, you may not want to bake five times in a row, so feel free to mix up the order of the labs. Remember to finish the lesson and demo before you do an assignment, lab, or quiz. At the end of the course there will be a final exam that will include all theory covered in the course. If you have any questions, contact your teacher.
- To utilize FOODSAFE knowledge in food preparation
- To develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to use a variety of food-preparation techniques to prepare nutritious, tasty, attractive foods in a cost-and-time-effective manner
- To access information and support relevant to Foods and Nutrition 11 topics and apply the principles of nutrition to your own food preparation
- To understand global issues related to food production and consumption and how they affect your food choices
This course contains 10 units. Each unit has a number of lessons and every lesson has assignments, labs, quizzes and/or forums. The following modules are covered in this course:
- Foundation for the Course
- Kitchen Safety and Sanitation
- Equipment, Measuring, and Budgeting
- What’s in a Cookie?
- Leavening Agents
- The Balanced Vegetarian
- Are You Getting the Nutrients You Need?
- The Future of Food
- Careers in Foods
- International Foods
40% Lab Work
15% Tests and Forums
- Lab Work
Your marks for labs are based on planning, organization, food preparation techniques, product, self evaluation, and cleanup. To adhere to FOODSAFE practices, aprons are mandatory. Therefore, you need to be wearing an apron when you cook.
You are given a lesson at the beginning of each unit, and assignments generally follow the lesson. Please submit your assignments to the correct assignment drop boxes.
There are a variety of quizzes though out the course: multiple choice, matching, short answer and essay.